This blog is about the day to day nitty-gritty things that come along with being diagnosed with ALS while trying to maintain grace, using a sense of humor and finding purpose.
dancingwithalsandlife.blogspot.com
Dancing With Life Quote Of The Week
-
dancingwithalsandlife.blogspot.com
I am thankful for my family & friends who are dancing with me on this life journey! Who are you thankful for in your life?
dancingwithalsandlife.blogspot.com Experiencing slow but continual motor function loss of my arms, hands and now in my legs, sucks!. Prior to living with ALS, I was very active with a busy life consisting of my career and family. For self care, I enjoyed hobbies to help me decompress from the world. In 2021, my busyness came to a screeching halt going from 100 miles an hour to nothing and gave me unbearable whiplash. I just felt so lost when everything was being stripped away from me, especially all my hobbies that required using my hands such as gardening, baking, crafts, crocheting, and reading. Focusing on the losses just threw me into a tailspin of deep depression and self isolation. I would spend countless hours scrolling through webpages on 101 hobbies to try, hoping and praying for hook, line and sinker that would fit my new normal. I even googled activities/hobbies for disabled individuals. Funny thing is, the website said disabled individuals should try gardening, puzzles...
dancingwithalsandlife.blogspot.com AI Comedy Club Let’s just get this out of the way: ALS is not funny. Not even a little bit. It’s tough, frustrating, unpredictable, and on many days, downright exhausting. But here’s something that might surprise you, life with ALS can still include laughter. Real, honest, sometimes snort-out-loud laughter. And no, it doesn’t mean you’re ignoring reality. It means you’re refusing to let reality take everything . Because if ALS is going to show up uninvited and start rearranging my life, I might as well get a few jokes in at its expense. Take the whole “dropping things” situation. Pre-ALS, I would drop my phone and think, Oops. With ALS, when I drop my phone or any other items suddenly it becomes a full-blown event. There’s the stare-down phase (“Can I reach that?”), the negotiation phase (“Do I actually need it right now?”), and finally the acceptance phase (“Cool, the floor owns it now.”). Honestly, if floors could talk, they’d be like, Thanks ...
dancingwithalsandlife.blogspot.com Time travel can be a way to connect and build relationships with people. In this blog, I will be talking about what my transportation experiences have looked like with ALS and my disabilities. However, before we do, let’s take a trip down memory lane. I remember the first time I got into a car with my drivers permit. As a joke, my father put on a motorcycle helmet, looked at me and said, “I am now prepared to teach you how to drive!” I laughed so hard, I almost peed my pants! Looking back, he probably was pretty smart and realistic. My first car was a manual stick shift. If you have ever driven stick shift, you know there is a learning curve to having smooth transitions between the gas, clutch and gears. After several months of practicing my Mario Andretti skills, I officially passed my drivers test in 1988 at the age of 16. I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel of the car and experience the feeling of independence...
We are all so lucky to have those special people in our lives!❤️
ReplyDeleteThank you for leaving a comment!
ReplyDeleteI am thankful for all of my family and friends, including you!
ReplyDeleteAmie, you and your family are a blessing to us as well!🩵
Delete