This blog is about the day to day nitty-gritty things that come along with being diagnosed with ALS while trying to maintain grace, using a sense of humor and finding purpose.
dancingwithalsandlife.blogspot.com
Dancing With Life Quote Of The Week
-
dancingwithalsandlife.blogspot.com
When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry show life a thousand reasons to laugh and smile!
dancingwithalsandlife.blogspot.com Experiencing slow but continual motor function loss of my arms, hands and now in my legs, sucks!. Prior to living with ALS, I was very active with a busy life consisting of my career and family. For self care, I enjoyed hobbies to help me decompress from the world. In 2021, my busyness came to a screeching halt going from 100 miles an hour to nothing and gave me unbearable whiplash. I just felt so lost when everything was being stripped away from me, especially all my hobbies that required using my hands such as gardening, baking, crafts, crocheting, and reading. Focusing on the losses just threw me into a tailspin of deep depression and self isolation. I would spend countless hours scrolling through webpages on 101 hobbies to try, hoping and praying for hook, line and sinker that would fit my new normal. I even googled activities/hobbies for disabled individuals. Funny thing is, the website said disabled individuals should try gardening, puzzles...
dancingwithalsandlife.blogspot.com Before I start my blogging, it is important to me that my readers understand the origins of my blog title. When I was diagnosed with ALS, I just wanted to control everything that was happening to me. During an ALS clinic appointment, I received sound advice from Dr. Alair Altiero, PhD, LPC. She told me, “Stacy, ALS is not something you can control. You need to learn how to dance with it.” Her advice has always stayed close to my heart because it is how we should be navigating through life with or without a terminal illness. We have the tendency to want to control everything in our environment until one day, we realize we are not in control anymore. That is where faith and reality intersect. The other reason why this blog title fits so well for me is because my daughters and friends know that I enjoy dancing. I’m not good at it, but as long as I have some leg strength left, I will continue to move my body or feet to the sound of music....
dancingwithalsandlife.blogspot.com Time travel can be a way to connect and build relationships with people. In this blog, I will be talking about what my transportation experiences have looked like with ALS and my disabilities. However, before we do, let’s take a trip down memory lane. I remember the first time I got into a car with my drivers permit. As a joke, my father put on a motorcycle helmet, looked at me and said, “I am now prepared to teach you how to drive!” I laughed so hard, I almost peed my pants! Looking back, he probably was pretty smart and realistic. My first car was a manual stick shift. If you have ever driven stick shift, you know there is a learning curve to having smooth transitions between the gas, clutch and gears. After several months of practicing my Mario Andretti skills, I officially passed my drivers test in 1988 at the age of 16. I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel of the car and experience the feeling of independence...
Comments
Post a Comment